[nycphp-talk] [OT] Consulting work

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 21:45:32 EDT 2005

On 6/2/05, Joseph Crawford <codebowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> no for consulting/freelance no stability you're getting screwed.  Here in
> Vermont i get $50 hour for contracting but then again that's vermont.  In
> NYC i am not sure of the rates but i am sure you could get more than that ;)

As a freelancer you gotta get your own equipment, software,
communications, etc., and ALSO health insurance, liability insurance,
accountant etc. So you most definitely need to make sure your hourly
rate makes it possible to fund all the non-salary stuff.

NYC PHP programmers should make a minimum of $50/hr, and I get offers
up to $120.

Short-term projects of real high import are the $120/hr variety, and
the longer term projects are typically of the $50-75/hr variety.

This is all from my direct experience, which is questionable at best :-)

-- Mitch