[nycphp-talk] How HTTP connection life relates to PHP script life

Anirudh Zala (Gmail) arzala at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 00:49:44 EDT 2005

Hi J,

A: Once you hit submit button in any page, request is immediately sent to
Server and then Php script is executed even if you hit stop button and
navigate through other pages or do other stuffs, and since you are not on
that page you will not get any response sent back that script to your once
it's task is finished.

B: You are right sending any kind of mails more than few hundred is never a
good practice to follow, because it is almost a back end task to be
performed by any script hence keeping page open or increasing server time
out  until script sends all mails is not good option at all. So CLI script
is best option since it has not any timeout that happens while running
script through Apache and it lasts as long as you wish to perform background
tasks.

What you want to do is proper option according to my knowledge, another
similar option is to divide this functionality in 2 parts:

1: determining how many mails are to be sent based upon selection criteria
submitted by admin and determines how many mails are to be sent and display
that number to user who is running this script (please note mails will not
be sent at this moment) instantly and store that Sql criteria or part of
script in DB.

2: and next day at early morning or at same day at midnight invoke another
script by cron etc. which executes stored Sql criteria and actually sends
emails.

Thanks

Anirudh Zala