[nycphp-talk] Data encryption on ISP server

Flavio daCosta nyphp at n0p.net
Sat Jun 25 11:43:02 EDT 2005

On 06/25/2005 11:06 AM, csnyder wrote:
> But that's a good thing. If just anyone could come along a register as
> a new user, then an attacker with shell access could just register and
> then use his password to decrypt the passphrase, game over.

I guess you are right, it's not really a caveat (more like a feature ;).
 It also wouldn't need to be as manual as I first thought.  The person
with the Authorization to create accounts would be able to encrypt the
new users first password during setup seeing as they all ready have the
un-encrypted db passphrase (from their password.)

Flavio