[nycphp-talk] PHPBeans I think

Matthew Terenzio matt at jobsforge.com
Sat Jun 25 16:58:16 EDT 2005

All of sudden my mail client won't reply with only selected text. Then
I accidentally deleted the original post. I can't blame some people for
hating computers. . . anyway. . .PHPBeans. . .

Presumably, if you have a need for a distributed system, you want some
scalable, reliable way to access remote information.

For instance, you need to get information from the accounting
departments system before you approve this customer's transaction.

if it were a third party vendor, most likely they would expose this
remote call as a web service(using SOAP etc), or maybe since Java has a
lot of clout they might only support Enterprise Java Beans.

But I guess if you are doing it internally, you might say "I love PHP
so much, I'm going to make this distributed transaction an end to end
PHP deal."

With Enterprise Java Beans, you presumably get to write beans that run
inside the EJB container and all you have to worry about is
implementing the basics and the container will handle security,
reliability and a mess of other things, so the developer doesn't have
to worry about it.

Also, with EJB, you theoretically should be able to write a bean that
works in any EJB compliant container, meaning you could move from
vendor to vendor.

I can't say whether PHPBeans is successfully modeling this type of
system, but it looks to be what they are after.

Matt Terenzio