[nycphp-talk] MySQL Case Study - Stanford Graduate School of Business (avail. at HBR Online)

Adam Fields fields at hedge.net
Tue Mar 1 12:40:43 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:26:14PM -0500, Jayesh Sheth wrote:
[...]
> features ... such as stored procedures, triggers and views. [...] MySQL
> [has not been useful for] the more transaction processing and business
> intelligence applications that constitute the majority of enterprise
> database deployments."
[...]

Oracle has NEVER acknowledged the fact that on the order of 98% of
database users don't even know about the existence of most of these
features. They're "nice to have", but hardly critical for even a
relatively large db-driven application.

Oracle's great, but it's overkill for all but the most demanding
applications.

> So, as developers, what do you think? Does MySQL meet your needs
> sufficiently? Do you see it growing along with your needs? If you do not
> use MySQL, which database do you use and why? Any thoughts regarding
> IBM's new alliance with Zend to bring DB2 and Derby (Cloudscape) support
> to PHP and how this might affect MySQL's market share among PHP users?

MySQL is a fantastic alternative. It takes some customization work to
make it perform very well for specific cases, but I can't complain,
since I do a fair amount of MySQL optimization analysis work. It can
be made to scale >very< well with the right attention to architecture,
configuration, and usage.

--
				- Adam

-----