[nycphp-talk] MySQL Case Study - Stanford Graduate School of Business (avail. at HBR Online)

Adam Fields fields at hedge.net
Tue Mar 1 12:54:48 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:45:13PM -0500, George Schlossnagle wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2005, at 12:40 PM, Adam Fields wrote:
> >the fact that on the order of 98% of
> >database users don't even know about the existence of most of these
> >features.
>
> Source?  And users using only MySQL (where these features don't exist)
> don't count.

Purely speculative, from my own sampling of web and backend
application developers over the years, across at least five relational
databases other than MySQL.

Sure - many of the DBAs know about them, but most app developers, in
my experience, don't. Or, at least, they don't consider them as useful
alternatives in the general case. And, in many cases, they'd be right
- a lot of things work just fine without them.

--
				- Adam

-----
** My new project --> http://www.visiognomy.com/diagrams