[nycphp-talk] Php Framework

Phil Duffy phil at bearingasset.com
Fri Mar 4 08:51:41 EST 2005

Sajith,

MVC with PHP is a challenge I am trying to solve.  I tried to implement
phpMVC under Windows XP/IIS and couldn't get it to work.  I then used some
code from Chapter 13 of Professional PHP 5 by Lecky-Thompson, Eide-Goodman,
Nowicki and Cove (Wiley Publishing).  While I could get this to install
under XP/IIS, it did not perform as documented in Chapter 13.  I then
re-installed under Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (XAMPP distribution).  Again, I
could get it to install, but it did not perform as documented (identical to
XP/IIS installation).  I have been in touch with the publisher, but received
no response.

I have seen arguments on both sides of the PHP/MVC argument.  No doubt the
amount of code is greater with MVC patterns and for simple systems I have
seen an argument against it.  On the other hand, initially simple systems
tend to grow in complexity over time, so the additional effort can be
justified in many cases.  I have had an experience where a very advanced
client/server system did not employ the kind of segmentation that would
allow it to be migrated to the web environment.  The investment in that
effort was lost.

Hope some of this helps.

Phil