[nycphp-talk] Php Framework

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Fri Mar 4 11:56:38 EST 2005

Well, I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion, but since
George threw his hat in, I have to back him up.

I agree with George. OO is a great way to keep things organized and
modular, but I'm not thrilled with "everything" being OO for no
particular reason.

It is ironic that it is going this way, as I met Rasmus at the BOF at
Linuxworld in 1999 (I believe it was then, there was only six or seven
of us there), and he specifically said that he DIDN'T believe PHP needed
OO, which was why it wasn't truly implemented back then. In hindsight, I
can't say I totally agree, as I think having the OO functionality is a
good thing. But, who does the "Java-esque" syntax and features of PHP5
really benefit?

Tom
http://www.liphp.org