[nycphp-talk] Php Framework

Sajith A sajith.ml at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 00:09:44 EST 2005

While searching for frameworks i came across this link.
http://wact.sourceforge.net/index.php/MvcFrameworksWrittenInPhp
Quoting....
-------------------------
One difference between the Java based Struts[MVC framework] and PHP is
the way in which http request dispatch is accomplished. Struts uses an
XML file to map http requests onto Java objects and PHP ports of
Struts must also construct such a mapping. In Struts, the objects that
represents this mapping are persistent in the java virtual machine
between requests. In the PHP ports, no state is retained between
requests. This means that the mapping is reparsed or reloaded on every
request. This adds a per request processing overhead to using this
FrontController pattern in PHP which does not exist in Java.
(Actually, java pays for the overhead in RAM usage instead of CPU
usage.)
-------------------------

I was having a similar doubt in my mind. Will caching the parsed xml
in someway help to improve the performance.

Intersting to see that  Ben Ramsey is giving a presentation in
International PHP Conference 2005  - "Framing the Frameworks: What Are
They and Do I Need One? " But that will be in may only. He has also
asked for case studies here .
http://benramsey.com/2004/11/29/case-studies-for-php-based-frameworks/.
it would have been really helpful if he had shared some info in his
webside before may.

I hope many people here have developed medium to large scale apps in
php. Have you people personally used  any open-source frameworks or
did u make one of your own? - and was it mvc.

Thanks and regards.