[nycphp-talk] Maguma Open Studio

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Mon Mar 14 22:14:24 EST 2005

Hello all,

I thought some of you may be interested in the newly released Maguma Open
Studio. It is an open source version of Maguma's older Maguma Studio
product.

I had bought this product a couple of years ago, and it was pretty good
(although limited in some respects) at the time. At the time I really
liked the fact that Maguma bundled PHP, MySQL, PHPMyAdmin and Apache
(along with controls to start and stop Apache) into one package. But now I
use XAMPP for the LAMP stack and jEdit for an editor.

>From a cursory look, this new, open source version seems to have new
icons, and probably other new enhancements too. It also has a built in
debugger. It seems to be a bit rough around the edges, but since the
source has been posted at Sourceforge, such deficiencies / bugs are
perhaps best seen as invitation to fix them.

An open source PHP IDE for Windows and Linux is a welcome addition to the
PHP community. The Sourceforge description says "Delphi / Kylix" leading
me to believe that it could also be compiled for Linux using Kylix -
although I have not used either Delphi or Kylix, and don't know if code
from one can be imported into another. Binaries are only available for
Windows, but it's still worth checking out.

For more information, please see:
http://www.maguma.com/index.php?article=os_main&id=126
and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openstudio