[nycphp-talk] Changing UNIX shadow passwords with PHP

Atul Ohri atul at monkeyclan.com
Tue Mar 15 13:22:13 EST 2005

Hey Everyone.

I've been trying to figure out a simple yet secure way to allow user's with
mailboxes on any of our servers to change their passwords via the web.  I
have done extensive research on the web and haven't found anything promising
regarding doing this in PHP.  It seems I may be able to accomplish it with a
Perl script and then I could wrap that Perl script around a PHP interface
but I'm not even sure that would work.  The passwords are stored in a shadow
passwd file format so however I accomplish this I would have to change to
root to make changes to the /etc/shadow file.  Would I have to use SUID to
accomplish this?  Does anyone know of any PHP scripts that could help me
accomplish my goal?  I'm sure someone somewhere has the need for a script
like this.  Naturally all of this would take place over a secure connection.

So does anyone have any advice on how I can accomplish this in PHP?

Atul