[nycphp-talk] Re: Monitoring for Bounce Mail

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Sun May 1 04:14:50 EDT 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, John Nunez wrote:

> This is exactly what I was thinking.  The transmissions are monthly
> but 3 bounces are good enough. Sometimes the emails are product
> alerts (plain text) and mostly it's HTML.  So you have the code in
> plain sight?  Like the footer?  I need to get approval from by boss
> for this one.  How do you encode the email address?  A quick idea
> would be to send a md5 of the email address.

Yes. We put the code in plain site. Probably in the footer.

It's been a long time, and I don't have the code readily
available. However, I would think that you would want something that
was decodable by you, so you could extract the original e-mail address
or user id when the mail bounced back.

Unless you're worried about people spoofing bounce mail to unsubscribe
their enemies, your data doesn't even necessarily have to be encrypted
-- just formatted in a way that's easy to grep for.

-adam

--
adam at trachtenberg.com | http://www.trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"