[nycphp-talk] PHP & Word Documents

Michael Southwell michael.southwell at nyphp.org
Sat May 7 15:47:08 EDT 2005

At 03:25 PM 5/7/2005, you wrote:
>Hey everyone,
>
>has anyone here ever needed the ability to parse a word document?  I have
>a client that creates his newsletters in MS Word and wants to upload them
>and send them to his users in an HTML or text based newsletter.  This
>wouldnt be a proablem if i have ever heard of an MS Word Parser, i know
>there is an Excel parser class.. Is there a way to parse a word document?
>
>What i would need to do is take the contents of the word document and
>convert it to html, saving the images from the word doc to a directory so
>that the HTML links could show them.

As David Mintz already suggested, Word has the capability of doing all of
this itself.  If he can't/won't save it as HTML (NB:  it should be
*filtered* HTML, which will strip out at least some of the garbage), you
can do it yourself.  I then use some macros to strip it further, at which
point it is easily displayed.