[nycphp-talk] PHP Pentration Discussion

Jon Niola jon at mediavortex.com
Sat May 28 10:36:26 EDT 2005

Interesting thread. I think that security is one area that even many
of us PHP veterans could always learn more about.

I recently have had to do some research on these types of issues
myself. I consider myself  to be pretty good with PHP, but security
is a pretty complicated issue with so many issues to consider.

For example on the NYPHP site in "phundamentals" section there is the
article on form spoofing. I have seen so many different schools of
thought on this.

Thinking about that article I was wondering, why not just check the
HTTP_REFERER to make sure the form is being submitted from server as
opposed to someone storing it locally and editing vars?

Might not be too bad an idea for us to put together a security page
with best practices, do's and don't etc. It would be a valuable
resource for even the seasoned coders. Some of the best coders I know
take security for granted.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

--Jon