[nycphp-talk] PHP Pentration Discussion

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sat May 28 16:53:53 EDT 2005

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg wrote:
> I also wanted to point out that these issues are somewhat subtle, and
> it's easy to "know" something is secure, when it's really not at all.

I agree completely. A good example is this blog entry:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog_comments.jspa?blog=481&entry=75480

Here, Zeev points out that $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] can be manipulated by
the Host header under certain circumstances. Rasmus disputes Zeev's
claim, asserting that $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] is not tainted.

In this case, I believe Zeev is the one who is correct, but the point is
that we have two of the top authorities on PHP, and one of them is
incorrectly identifying the origin of a particular variable.

If these guys have trouble with this stuff, what hope is there for the
rest of us? :-)

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett