[nycphp-talk] HTML -> PDF

Russ Demarest rsd at electronink.com
Tue May 31 12:53:32 EDT 2005

If you create the PDF on the server then pass it to the browser it
may work better. I am not sure of heavy load on a thing like this but
it has worked for me.

     Have HTMLDOC output the file to the server. Then open that and
feed it back to the browser.

                 $out_pdf=fopen($file_out,'rb');
                 $fisz = filesize($file_out);

                 # Write the content type to the client...
                 header("Cache-Control: ");// leave blank to avoid IE
errors
                 header("Pragma: ");// leave blank to avoid IE errors
                 header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");
                 header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=
\"my_pdf.pdf\"");
                 header("Content-length: ".(string)($fisz));
                 flush();

                 fpassthru($out_pdf);
                 fclose($out_pdf);

                 exit;

     Remember to create the file and set the permissions so the
webserver can write to it. Also you may want to delete the HTML and
PDF after generation depending on security issues.

     Good Luck

On May 31, 2005, at 12:46 PM, Mark Withington wrote:

> Hah!  We're getting closer.  Saved the file to disk (locally) first
> and then
> opened it without a problem.  Any thoughts?
>
> Really appreciate all the help.  Had I asked sooner, I might have
> gotten
> more sleep last night.
>

> --------------------------
> Mark L. Withington
> PLMresearch
> "eBusiness for the Midsize Enterprise"
> PO Box 1354
> Plymouth, MA  02362
> o: 800-310-3992 ext. 704
> f: 508-746-4973
> v: 508-746-2383
> m: 508-801-0181
> http://www.PLMresearch.com
> Netscape/AOL/MSN IM: PLMresearch
> mwithington at plmresearch.com
> Public Key:
> http://www.plmdev.com/plmr/plmresearch.com/keys/MLW_public_key.asc
> Calendar: http://www.plmdev.com/plmr/plmresearch.com/calendar.php

>>> generated.  If I simply save that as HTML and then run it through
>>> HTMLDOC;
>>> no problem.  When I run it, generated on the fly, the page throws
>>> an error.
>>> Even stranger, the page prints correctly with other data (HTML
>>> generated
>>> from a mysql db) and even display correctly via HTMLDOC through