[nycphp-talk] Should labels/tags be inherited?

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:41:00 EST 2005

Not strictly a PHP question, but maybe other developers on this list
are thinking about folksonomies and adding labels or tags to content,
so...

Suppose I have an image object stored in my system, with the single
label "fun". And suppose that I attach an audio object, describing the
image in my own words.

The image is at /csnyder/images/001.jpg and the audio is at
/csnyder/images/001/description.mp3.

Should the audio object inherit the "fun" label?

On the surface I would say no, because the audio might not be "fun" in
the same way that the image is "fun". But the audio is directly
related to something that is "fun", and should probably show up on the
"fun" summary page and RSS feed.

And in applying the same situation to messages in a discussion thread,
you would almost always want the labels you assign to the thread to be
inherited by the individual messages, as long as those messages are
"on topic"...

Any thoughts?

--
Chris Snyder