[nycphp-talk] Smarty Templates

John Daly jdaly at panix.com
Wed Nov 2 13:59:12 EST 2005

The Smarty I used was just a simple templating language.  The structures
were set in a PHP control file and assigned to template variables.  Big
decisions like 'auth' 'logged' etc would be PHP decisions of what template
was called, and the standard logic of  {if results then loop else nada}
would be the kind of Smarty code that I would put in the template.  I think
of it as output logic and an acceptable bare minimum.  The whole thing for
me was the designer would rather eat Brussel Sprouts all day than work with
it.  That's a very big problem.

I swear by templating, even it the team size is only one -- it forces a
presentation/business/date layer thought process. I use Smarty and have
a love/hate relationship with it. It has many powerful features, but as
some have noted, forces you to learn YAL -- yet another language. And at
times, understanding the "flow" of things can be tiresome.

At the Zend conference, I heard that Flicker uses Smarty, which in
essence nullifies my performance concerns. And it has a built-in caching
mechanism.

I am intrigued by Chris' comments and analysis though. If used as
intended -- for design, a Smarty .tpl should have an absolute minimum of
logic (just simple presentation logic) and mainly HTML with tags. So if
you can force yourself to use a PHP template structure of
<?=htmlentities($stuff)?>, why not? But how will you eliminate "PHP
creep".

Cliff Hirsch