[nycphp-talk] building an 1-way email list manager

Alberto dos Santos yournway at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 04:15:56 EST 2005

David,

> Running a daemon or some other really long-lived process is not an option.
> I am thinking cron: every couple of hours, wake up and send. Do 50 or so
> and sleep for a few seconds until you're done. Yeah that would take a long
> time for 200,000 emails but this is never gonna need to scale like that.

I work in a non-profit project called dailygospel.org and we send out
163.000+ emails everyday of the week with readings from the good book
in 11 languages.

We use purposedly written php scripts that dispatch emails, once they
are parsed and ready, onto a qmail queue.

In order to cope with volume we do exactly that, we have divided the
sendings by timezone and use cron to trigger the events.

What we don't have, and very much would like to have, is a way to
automaticaly monitor if the emails have been received or bounced back,
and remove the bouncers from the send list so, if you should come to a
script that is capable of handling this volume and does what you need
(and what we need too) we are candidates to take a deep look at it and
implement a similar solution at evangelizo.org.

Thanks.
--
Alberto dos Santos