[nycphp-talk] background processes

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Tue Nov 15 10:15:16 EST 2005

Thanks for the link, we do a fair bit of remote network monitoring so
this technique could lead to a major performance increase just as soon
as I can get it 100% straight in my head.

I'm not sure exactly how it applies to running a background process
though.  Right now for background processes I use an intermediary script
which runs the real task and writes the stdout and stderr output to a
database row, which can then be polled by the frontend.  It seems to
work quite well, though the overhead of updating the database is
something I would like to be rid of if I can find a better way to do it.

Dan