[nycphp-talk] building an 1-way email list manager

Jeff Loiselle jeff.loiselle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:09:11 EST 2005

> My unoriginal thought is to set return-path to something like
> bounce-handler at example.org and set a procmail (or equivalent) recipe to
> pipe anything sent to bounce-handler to a php script that parses out who
> the intended recipient was, deems it a bounce and acts accordingly.  The
> gotcha here, according to my rigorously scientific thought experiments, is
> that if someone at elsewhere.org deliberately sent mail to
> bounce-handler at example.org, the former would be considered a bounce --
> unless your bounce-handler worked really hard to figure out if and why the
> incoming message bounced. Ah, the joy of reinventing the wheel.

Either you can start up a database and start learning how to parse
thousands of type of bounces... or.. you can just set a certain limit
of the ones that come back to the bounce script, and at that limit,
decide to finally bounce the user.

---
Jeff Loiselle
Web Developer, Musician, and Observer
http://jeff.loiselles.com

"In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of
choice, but nothing to choose from." - Peter Ustinov