[nycphp-talk] Preferred method for parsing multi-row submitbuttons

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Mon Nov 21 21:23:18 EST 2005

Cliff Hirsch wrote:
> I thought of that, and again, it sure would be much easier. But
> doesn't that violate the W3C recommendation for get versus post.
> Isn't a Hyperlink simulating a get submission, which should not
> be used for "actions" that modify a database.

That's my interpretation. Section 9.1.1 of RFC 2616:

"In particular, the convention has been established that the GET and
HEAD methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action other
than retrieval. These methods ought to be considered "safe". This allows
user agents to represent other methods, such as POST, PUT and DELETE, in
a special way, so that the user is made aware of the fact that a
possibly unsafe action is being requested."

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy