[nycphp-talk] GD or ImageMagick or...?

CED Consult at CovenantEDesign.com
Mon Nov 28 11:33:42 EST 2005

Aaron,

You don't have to limit yourself to what your hosting company has provided.
You can run any image library you want, loading it dynamically from a page.

-Ed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Fischer" <agfische at email.smith.edu>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:10 AM
Subject: [nycphp-talk] GD or ImageMagick or...?

Hey guys,

I'm writing some custom blog software and want to add some features to
handle uploading/storing/displaying photos.  On upload from the user I
want to use PHP to do some image manipulation.  Initially, I will
probably just want to be taking the image(s) and creating two or three
different sizes.  Later on I may want to perform some more complicated
tasks on the images but not right now.  For the foreseeable future
upload and output files will be jpg.

I have checked my server environment and it appears that it does not
have GD or ImageMagick installed.

It seems that GD will do what I need.  Also, from some googling around
it seems that ImageMagick is a bit more complex and would require more
of a learning curve to get started.  Since the project needed to be
finshed yesterday I'm thinking that GD might be preferable.

This is a request that I need to make of my server administrator.  In
order to make a knowledgeable request I'm doing as much up front
research as possible.  I've never administrated a server so some of this
is new to me.

I'm reading http://us2.php.net/gd to try and get a sense of what is
needed.  For example, it appears that for GD I would need to ask my
server admin to recompile PHP with GD enabled?  Or is this just stuff
that can be changed in the .ini file?

I'd appreciate any comments regarding the best way for a (slightly)
experienced programmer to get up and running with some basic PHP image
manipulation features.  Certainly the code that was posted just recently
on the other thread for resizing with GD will be very helpful.

Any corrections on mistaken assumptions would be helpful as well.

Thanks very much!

-Aaron