[nycphp-talk] FW: [nycbug-talk] gpl on /.

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 20:57:56 EDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Hans Zaunere <lists at zaunere.com> wrote:

> Marc Spitzer wrote on Friday, September 30, 2005 11:41 AM:
> > Saw below on slashdot, this is something we need to be up to speed on.
> >  All you web developers out there need to add in time for licence
> > review on your projects, if you use any 3rd party lib, ouch.

It is only an issue if you are trying to use the GPL and also have
non-GPL releases. If you are buying totally into the GPL, then by all
means go whole hog.

However, if you are trying to have a dual-licensed release, using the
GPL means you can pretty much forget about including any external GPL
libraries. That is where we are with both Mambo and Joomla! at
present, and isn't really all that bad.

Well, other than the fact that the first major commercial product from
JamboWorks is now going to be released under the GPL.

-- Mitch, crying in his Guinness