[nycphp-talk] data modelling vs. db design (was: ER Diagram tool for MySQL/OS X)

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Tue Oct 4 14:40:11 EDT 2005

> It seems like it would be worth the extra overhead to keep
> behind-the-scenes
> digest tables of commonly joined tables, is this something that higher end
> databases (ie. oracle) do?

It's not so much the higher-end databases do it, but that they can do it,
whereas I'm not sure mySQL can.

One method is to use triggers to update the digest tables when detail
tables are updated.

Another method is to use "materialized views", where you create a view
that is kept updated by the system.  In method 1 you do the work, in
method 2 the system does the work.

barring these, you would update the digest tables yourself whenever the
detail tables are updated.

One danger of course is that you introduce contention on the writes if
everybody is trying to hit the digest tables.  If you mave many more reads
than writes this may not be an issue.