[nycphp-talk] data modelling vs. db design

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Wed Oct 5 21:19:38 EDT 2005

Mitch Pirtle wrote:
> For me, PostgreSQL is always the default, regardless of the
> application, unless the client demands a commercial database.

Or MySQL.  Excellent thumbnail summary of MySQL's and PostgreSQL's
respective childhoods, BTW.

I'm the same: PostgreSQL is my default RDBMS and has been since 7.2.  We
used it when we built Trafficmac and damned if that PG server hasn't
been rebooted or PG restarted in... lemme check... yikes... 599 days!
And because it's an adserver reporting aggregator/ad ops workflow tool
for WSJ, Foxnews, CBSMW and Cars.com, we hammer hard it every day.

I was a big MySQL guy until I got hired into an Oracle shop (CCI) where
I got spoiled on Oracle's unbelievably rich feature set... foreign keys,
procs, triggers, dblinks, AQ.  Oracle isn't just a database hanging off
an application; it's an operating system.  When I returned to consulting
my philosophy for how to build data-driven sites had taken a quantum
leap and MySQL couldn't oblige.

MySQL4 provided a couple of those features and MySQL5 offers even more.
  That's great to see but it's going to be a while before it catches up
to PG8's feature set.  Meanwhile, PG's got a lot on its TODO plate so I
don't think it will be sleeping either:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html