[nycphp-talk] data modelling vs. db design

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Oct 6 22:08:26 EDT 2005

>John,
>
>Why is it that you link to SEO-Fun but there is nothing there?

The better question would be, if you find nothing there, why do you
continue to click? ;-)

As for the discussion, we all seem to agree the project needs multiple
experts and due diligence to db design etc. I don't find much to disagree
with in the comments, except the practicality of it all.

I am usually one of the sticklers for solid normalization on projects.
HOWEVER, I find most of the work for me is in getting the application's
future defined enough to be able to discuss that, while collaborators
(dba's included) want to lock n load.

Of course an architect would make all the difference... that is the missing
piece. How many projects have an IA role assigned early on?

From what I have seen this has been a helpful discussion for everyone
struggling with normalizing a db that supports a developing app. Valuable
contribution.

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com
http://www.privacydesk.com