[nycphp-talk] make thumbs from video files

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Tue Oct 25 16:45:51 EDT 2005

csnyder wrote:

>On 10/25/05, leegold <leegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Is there a way using PHP to make jpeg thumbs out of quicktime or windows
>>media files?
>>Preferably a batch job on a folder...
>>

>This is a big can of worms, due to the very large number of different
>video codecs out there. Within the separate universes of QuickTime and
>Windows Media, there are mpeg, mpeg2, mpeg4, motion-jpeg, DivX, h264,
>Indio, Sorenson, etc etc etc.
>
>Additionally, which frame do you choose to make the thumbnail from?
>The first? It's often black. QuickTime files sometimes have a set
>"poster frame" that the author has designated as a representative
>still image. The same may be true of Windows Media files, I don't
>know.

It's probably only a small can of worms though. There are only a handful
of popular codec's to tackle. I don't think it's exculsively a php job
though. There are a few windows and linux video "rippers" which will
convert video to frames. Usenet binaries has been doing it for a long
time now. Check out an example at:
http://www.usenetbinaries.com/groups/alt.binaries.mpeg.videos/2005/10/24/h/1v.html

Another video.google.com example would be www.youtube.com

~Rolan