[nycphp-talk] PHP on Windows + MS SQL Server

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Fri Sep 9 21:09:13 EDT 2005

PHP 4.x under IIS6 on Windows 2003 Server, if I recall, will need to
have php added to the web server extensions set. Done through IIS
Manager.

Install PHP into a really plain directory name like C:\PHP. Don't use
paths with spaces in them.

Then add this PATH to the environmental variables accessed through My
Computer>Properties. Then with this one step alone: php.ini, all the
php.dlls, everything from the install, can stay in the single PHP
install folder and you don't have to put anything out into C:\Windows,
etc.

PHP4.x installs under IIS 5 and IIS 6 smoothly. You need to tune your
settings in php.ini. Directions that come with the PHP download are
quite complete.

Googling for PHP Windows install tutorial will get you plenty of
results. Just step 5 or 6 pages down through the results. Lots of
individuals have summarized their efforts.

Php.net user comments in the Windows install area has lots of tips too.

Additionally, MySQL 4.x installs smoothly on Win boxes.

No fear.