[nycphp-talk] XAMPP windows install question

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sat Sep 10 13:57:39 EDT 2005

leegold wrote on Saturday, September 10, 2005 12:59 PM:
> # After installing MySQL as a service, remember to copy
> \xampp\mysql\my_example.cnf to C:\my.cnf
>
> I read this line above on the nyphp XAMPP site. Not sure cause I have no
> file named my.cnf on C:\ and MYSQL seems to be running OK - PHPMyAdmin
> works OK. Can/Should I ignore this?

If you're just running XAMPP for development and test drive purposes on your laptop, then you can ignore this for now.  MySQL will use conservative defaults if it doesn't find a my.cnf file.

Once your ready to start playing around with the MySQL configuration, you can put the my.cnf file in a number of different places.  I always put mine in the data directory of MySQL, for instance, c:\xampp\mysql\data

> PS. What list on nyphp should I ask PHP programming questions? Although
>     there are many newsgroups for this so I'm OK...

This is the list, NYPHP-Talk.  You can of course view other lists at http://www.nyphp.org/lists/

---
Hans Zaunere / President / New York PHP
  www.nyphp.org  /  www.nyphp.com