[nycphp-talk] PHPWiki

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Sun Sep 11 08:59:07 EDT 2005

Pardon me if this has been discussed before.  I assume it has been but I
was probably outside having a smoke.  What's the general opinion about
PHPWiki here?

I'm tasked with setting up a Wiki for a large open source PHP dev
project for Childrens Health Fund.  I've set up and used TikiWiki before
and it worked fine.  It's just a bit of overkill for our needs and it
would sorta politically undercut my argument for PHP as the base
language for this project if I installed a perl wiki.

I downloaded v1.3 last night and got it running okay albeit with tons of
PHP warnings, mostly about using invalid types in referenced arg
variables.  I googled relentlessly on this problem only to find myself
directed to other PHPWiki sites, most of which suffered from the same
affliction.

I know how to turn off those warnings and know (pretty much) what's
causing them.  But I'd rather not mask the symptoms.  Also, PHP warnings
indicate potentially problematic code.

Is v1.3 not ready for prime time or does it require PHP5?  The
installation docs are somewhat byzantine.  Is there a better PHP
alternative to PHPWiki?