[nycphp-talk] Code cleanliness vs. code popularity

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 22:17:40 EDT 2005

In my experience, fudforum <http://fudforum.org> is a better forum software
than phpBB, and the main author is a PEAR member who has many code
contributions to open source beyond fudforum. And, he (Ilya Alshanetsky) is
also security conscious so that is a primary requirement of fudforum.

I haven't used it in a while, so I just downloaded it again and checked the
source to see if it's Object Oriented. I can't be sure because the download
only includes an installer, which apparently bootstraps the download of the
software. That seems fine, however one major concern that I have is that
there is binary content in the installer. I posed a question on the site to
find out what it is, and how they could license it under the GPL if the
installer itself is part binary.

Until that is clarified, I guess I would suggest NOT using it.