[nycphp-talk] Multiple query from out put

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Tue Sep 20 10:45:05 EDT 2005

Have you tried this type of structure:

SELECT s.address AS 'Store Address' FROM stores AS s
WHERE s.zip IN
(SELECT z.zip FROM zipcodes AS z WHERE z.city = 'New York')

In this example, first the subquery returns multiple zips for NYC. Then
the primary query returns all store data from the stores table with any
of the zips that came back from the zips in the NYC subquery.

Additionally, this example uses column and table aliases which are
important to use when searching for data across several tables. Aliases
are necessary because there may be columns with the same field name in
both tables and only aliases ensure you actually get the output from the
fields you really wanted.

Plus, when you use the fields with PHP later, the fields have clear
meanings to you and you can even use the original aliased field names as
human readable row header titles in your resultant HTML.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec
Technology Director
PSWebcode