[nycphp-talk] What are ? and :

Nunez, Eddy enunez at tiaa-cref.org
Fri Sep 30 13:04:38 EDT 2005

Yeah no kidding .. I love this stuff!!
I've used them in sequence to test and update a conditional variable...
some actual code I wrie to set a string based on various database variables..

        $approval_status = ( $adt=$res[APPROVED] ) ? "Approved on $adt" : 'Unapproved' ;
        $approval_status = ( in_array($suffix,array('AN','SP')) ) ? 'N/A' : $approval_status ;
        $approval_status = ( $cdt=$res[COMPLETED] ) ? "Closed on $cdt" : $approval_status ;
        $approval_status = ( $cdt=$res[CANCELED] ) ? "Canceled on $cdt" : $approval_status ;

I realized in the above the sequence of the instructions is critical for the correct
result because the following statements will use the previous results on false condition.

FYI: texts refer to it as Trinary operator because it takes 3 operands, instead of
the more common 2 ops.

Cool stuff!