[nycphp-talk] Whats a Competitive Salary for PHP Dev

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Fri Apr 14 12:29:06 EDT 2006

Cliff

>If I may interject -- without anyone throwing spears my way.

No, your opinion has as much value as anyone else's. However, your
opinion is based upon your experiences and those may be limited as
compared to others.

>If I were trying to make a living programming, I would try to find a
>single area where I can be that expert -- and command a price based upon
>value, not time.

That's nice in theory, but not that easy in practice. You might be a
world authority on one specific topic, but if no one is interested,
then you're out of luck (been there, done that -- and that's another
topic).

But opportunity (excluding health) is what is most important. Most of
us (my past self included) often take opportunity for granted -- we
think it will always be around, but that's not true. And one day you
may find yourself without opportunity and then will be willing to
settle for just about anything, while holding your breath waiting for
a better opportunity. However, holding your breath has it's limits.

So, putting on my "father-yoda" suit, I say take every opportunity
afforded you because this too will pass.

tedd

---