[nycphp-talk] Whats a Competitive Salary for PHP Dev

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Fri Apr 14 23:36:43 EDT 2006

>tedd tedd-at-sperling.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:
>
>  >I know what you mean. But, a web site may not be a good indicator of
>>the persons abilities.
>>

>That is funny. Never is this theory tested more than in marketing. Your
>logic says a good marketer must have an amazingly well marketed
>business. Hah.

No, if you will note, I said the opposite. A web site
(self-marketing) may NOT be a good indicator of the persons abilities.

>The best marketers I know do no marketing at all for their own
>businesses. The best SEOs I know have simple, one age websites, and even
>then only because they needed somewhere to point the people they
>*didn't* want to talk to.

What I know of SEO is more than what can be shown by any single web
site -- the bottom line is the number of productive hits that count
and that can be only measured by the recipient.

>I work in competitive tactics. I deploy fast and innovate on the fly.
>Almost everything is opportunity driven, and backed by a strong faith in
>fundamentals. That flies in the face of modern "expectations". I *could*
>show you my tricks and tactics and methods by using them on my own
>website, but why would I?

Don't.

>In fact, it is conceivable that I would use
>the wrong methods and tactics on my public website, just to distract the
>competition from my real work.

In my mind, that's thinking too much. That's like walking into a
party thinking everyone notices you, when in fact no one cares --
they're too involved with other things to notice.

>Ditto for CSS pros who achieve goals with CSS. Why give it away by
>labeling it as "your best work" and putting it up at a known address for
>anyone to inspect, copy, critique?

Then why do css pro's (or anyone for that matter) write books or
participate in discussion groups? Remember, they have to put out
their best work, or no one will buy it. Plus, and more importantly,
there is a professional clique from peers that's expected and has
consequences if you don't produce.

Reputation is paramount and becoming increasingly more so.

>I know.... not a simple topic. Chicken and egg, etc. But it has always
>been true that you should not judge a book by it's cover in most cases.

I'll agree with you there. I would much rather be underestimated, and
surprise people, than be overestimated and make a fool of myself --
I've done enough of that already.

Best,

tedd