[nycphp-talk] Whats a Competitive Salary for PHP Dev

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 11:32:23 EDT 2006

On 4/14/06, Cliff Hirsch <cliff at pinestream.com> wrote:
<snip>
> When I see bad web sites, I think that either you don't know what you are
> doing or you don't care.
<snip>

Just wanted to chime in here for a second. While I understand what
you're saying, I don't totally agree with your assumptions that a bad
website means someone either doesn't know what they are doing or that
they don't care.

I'm a PHP developer. Most of what I do is actual coding with very
little website design. I *can* design a website but it's not going to
be nearly as good looking as someone who does design day in and day
out. Ask me to code PHP and I can do nearly anything you like; ask me
to design you a great site and it will be a little harder for me
because I am not a designer. Does that mean I don't know what I'm
doing in my area of expertise? Absolutely not.

I think when you're considering someone for a job you need to take
into account what their skills and experience are. Being a strong PHP
developer doesn't automatically mean you're a strong website designer.
 And not being a strong website designer doesn't mean you're not an
incredible PHP developer. You just can't judge one set of skills by
another. It'd be like saying someone is a poor driver so they must be
a poor mechanic. The two aren't mutually inclusive.

Anthony Papillion