[nycphp-talk] word doc properties

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 20:15:29 EDT 2006

On 4/21/06, Joseph Crawford <codebowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe you would need to use a COM object within PHP to actually launch
> MS Word to read the files like you wish to.  I did an article on weberdev
> about using Word and Mail Merge from within PHP.
>  http://www.weberdev.com/get_example-4232.html
> It also explains that you need to set the COM permissions so that the IIS
> user or current windows user has access to remotely open Word "hidden" in
> the background.

Back in my Zope/Plone days *gasp* there was always the PyUNO driver
from OpenOffice.org to convert, manipulate, or pretty much whatever
you wanted. To this day, I have not heard of anything that was similar
in the PHP world.

Is that still the case? Do I still have to fire off a python script to
manipulate office binary files? Looking around PEAR and the
documentation, I have no idea what extensions are available to work
with these binary formats.

--
Mitch Pirtle
Joomla! Core Developer