[nycphp-talk] OT - meta tags

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Apr 24 00:59:18 EDT 2006

Just to clarify, and the reason I started my reply with "everyone has an
opinion" :  my advice is based on current performance-based research.
Not theory, not future projections, not relative to yesterday,  but what
works today (with "works" defined as a performance metric -
customer-facing user interface issues, search marketing/SEO, and the
like). If I build a site today... this is what I would do.

I don't view this as OT but respect the list's opinion on that. It is
not OT for me because I am forever asking PHP coders to *start* with an
assumption that meta data is dynamic (not static), that link attributes
are dynamic (not static with default values) etc etc etc. IMHO PHP is
great for the power it provides, and not so great for the power it hands
over to the PHP coder (vs the page designer or website designer or
business strategist).

-=john andrews

Peter Sawczynec ps-at-pswebcode.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?articleID=00048144-10D2-1C70-8
>4A9809EC588EF21&catID=2
>
>In the above article "The Semantic Web" by Tim Berners-Lee he essentially
>presents that meta data (data about data) will be a vital component in the
>intricately interconnected Internet that will lift Web 2.0 into a new realm.
>

>So just to keep in spirit with his forward looking premise, I use all the
>META tags that I can get my hands on. I try not to overload the tags, but I
>use them nonetheless.
>
>Whatever, take a read of the article as it provides some intriguing
>perspectives on why we are programming what we program.
>
>Warmest regards,
>
>Peter Sawczynec,
>Technology Director
>PSWebcode
>_Design & Interface
>_Ecommerce
>_Database Management
>ps at pswebcode.com
>718.796.1951
>www.pswebcode.com

http://www.seo-fun.com

"writing is often like driving a truck at night without headlights, losing your way along the road and spending a decade in a ditch"  -- Gay Talese