[nycphp-talk] OT - meta tags

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:32:19 EDT 2006

michael lists-at-genoverly.net |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:07:39 -0400
>michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
>

>>I have a client that someone has convinced that gobs of meta tags in
>>the headers is vital to the success of their website.  I'm happy to
>>comply, but, aren't some of these meta tags soooo 90's?
>>

>Hey, great discussion, thanks for the insight!

Funny how something as trivial as meta tags leads to insightful
discussions, but it is always true. I see post after post on SEO forums
about how meta tags are dead, yet barely a decent discussion of *why* or
*how* they might be useful. Here, we really didn't even get into most of
the meta tags... there was so much to talk about around the meta tag
issue an done example of meta robots.

Now how about the isue as many people will have interpreted it? Do the
meta-keywords and meta-description tags have any value today?

Hop on over to search.msn.com and run a query. Take "php training" (no
quotes) for example. Now look at the top 5 results. View source for
each. What do you see? You see title text and meta-desc and meta-kw
aligning with SERP rank, except in the most obvious cases of authority
(php.net). Now try it again with something less competitive... what do
you see?

90% of SEO is as hard as washing your car. Everybody can do it, and if
they put a little work into it they can do a great job. But do they?

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com

http://www.seo-fun.com

"writing is often like driving a truck at night without headlights, losing your way along the road and spending a decade in a ditch"  -- Gay Talese