[nycphp-talk] [OT] - NYC Salaries

craig at juxtadigital.com craig at juxtadigital.com
Thu Aug 3 14:08:47 EDT 2006

LeeEyerman at aol.com said:

> I grew up (33 years) one mile from the George Washington Bridge and worked
> in downtown Manhattan for over 10 years.  65k-80k is VERY difficult to
> support
> a family on in any area of NYC.  Especially if you ever hope to  actually
> buy
> a house.  (average studio condo in queens is close to  $200k - 400-600 sq.
> ft. max - 3 bedroom condo/house - furgetaboutit!)  If you spend every last
> penny
> on rent and surviving... how will you ever  afford to save for a down
> payment?  And in the NYC area 10-20% is a  requirement, not an option to
> buy a house.
>  Unless your wife was working  full-time too, I would VERY carefully
> reconsider that move.

I'd second this opinion.  65k for a family of 5 is just enough $ in NYC
and the surronding area.  80k is better, but still not enough IMHO.

If the 65k-80k is the only income, with 3 kids I'd think very, very, very
hard.  No matter what others have said: food, transportation,
entertainment and god forbid you need day care will eat the 16 hundred and
change for breakfast!

When we first moved here about 7 years ago more than one realtor laughed
when we told them our income [at the time 72k].

I love NY!

--
Craig