[nycphp-talk] Best editor? Textmate, just too sluggish over a network?

Mark Armendariz enolists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 16:16:07 EDT 2006

> I have tried a zillion editors over the years, and have been
> playing with textmate as of late.
>  thanks, ed  :-)

Textmate seems very nice.  I've become a fan of it watching colleagues use
it on their macs.  Unfortunately I don't have one so I can't offer my own
experience with it.

> I recently switched from PHPEclipse to the Zend PHP IDE -
> <http://www.zend.com/phpide>.  It's getting updated
> frequently and I suspect it will surpass PHPEclipse.
> -Rob

I've been using phpEclipse (win32 and linux) with subClipse (subversion) for
a few months and as of Rob's post switched my win32 box to zend's phpide.
For a first impression with a couple hours of 'normal' use for a large
project I'm working on this morning, very impressive.  I'm a big fan of the
phpExplorer and how well it handles includes.

Haven't gotten into the debugging yet as my library on this project tends to
make php's debugger explode in an incredibly gory and unappreciative way.
Something to do with recursive references and celestial alignment.

As a warning for anyone replacing phpEclipse, after getting rid of
phpEclipse and installing zend's my eclipse installation went blammo. I had
to start fresh - replacing my workspace did nothing for me. I'm not saying
the same will happen to everyone, as it could have just been a bad mix of
plugins or more likely my own ignorance but be warned that it could go sour.
Were I more intelligent and patient, I probably would have backed up eclipse
and my workspace before trying.

> One note is that Eclipse is a memory hog.  512MB just barely
> cut it for me.  Upgraded to 2.5GB and now I'm flying :)

Indeed.  My 1gb just barely keeps things happy (javaw.exe aka eclipse
ferociously elbowing in at 453mb at the moment), with the occasional java
freeze, which I got very familiar with using Zend Studio.  It always comes
out of the freeze, just takes about 10 seconds before it thaws.  It happens
about 1 or 2 times an hour for me.

Mark