[nycphp-talk] [off topic] IA/website modeling

P Yurt pyurt at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 11:26:24 EDT 2006

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}..shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
If you’re using MSWord/Photoshop youwill love Visio. Word andPhotoshop are not vector drawing tools, Visio is and vector makes all thedifference.

Vector drawing tools let you adjust, move,group and manipulate drawing “objects”. Every element in a vectordrawing program is separate and can be selected and adjusted.  You cangroup select lines, boxes, text etc., to move or make group them into other“objects” for further manipulation. You can make a selection oflines thicker, dashed, rounded etc.

To get started I suggest it could behelpful to try and find a template. if you can find something close to what youwant it’s a good starting place. From the template make yourself a“personal template” (maybe a basic drawing) to work from. Then Iuse my “personal template” as I go forward.  Once I have allmy objects it’s easy sailing.

I’ve used Visio for years to drawand visualize complex concepts and it does a great job allowing me to drawalmost any type of flowchart, block diagram, site map, map, object space etc.

Visio can incorporate bitmap graphics andembed them into documents, if needed. Large projects with many pages aresupported. I have projects which an excess of 30 pages of detailed complexdrawings. Be careful though as Visio does slow down if you make your projectstoo big. It does require a powerful machine.

There are other vector drawing tools suchas Dia (Linux) and Draw (Corel). I assume you are talking windoz with Word andPhotoshop. I tried to migrate to Dia but could not get my files converted satisfactorily.Years ago I used “Draw” which was acquired by Corel and then it wasrenamed. I liked Draw as it also was a vector drawing application with supportfor bitmaps. Draw must be out there somewhere in a later incarnation with a newname? Anyone?

I bet you can use Adobe Illustrator andachieve the same goals.

Good luck and happy drawing…

paul (at) 2.0websites [dot] com

Paul Yurt, Publisher

www.2.0websites.com