[nycphp-talk] General Q; Programming Jobs & Expectations

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Thu Aug 17 11:30:17 EDT 2006

Keith Casey wrote:
> On 8/17/06, Ben Sgro <bens at oddcast.com> wrote:
>> Is it crazy to think I can change things from the bottom, by writing the
>> specs and speaking with the other programmers to reach a consensus on 'best
>> practices' and create 'grassroots' support? Should I just 'suck it up' and
>> put in my time, then move to another job?

If you can get across how doing things 'right' will make everyone's
lives easier in real concrete terms (e.g. "how long did it take to
figure out wtf was going on when you had to debug x yesterday?"), you
may find it a much easier sell.

Depending on your situation, the security of the system can also be a
source of leverage, effectively auditing and securing a system is much
easier when it is cleanly laid out.  Any system dealing with client
details (especially financial details) can be a huge liability if it is
not effectively secured.

>>From my experience - and yes, this is harsh - personal embarassment is
> the best motivator.  Publish the coding standards, get everyone to
> generally agree on the key points and then start having small code
> reviews.  Choose one of your own modules, pass it out to a few of your
> peers/subordinates/superiors and tear into it.  Then announce what the
> next module to review will be.  When a few people see what you do to
> your own code, they a) will be more likely to contribute and b) won't
> want to suffer the wrath.  That's why starting with your own stuff is
> key.

This is also a great idea, a little confrontational at first but very
useful if there are a few stragglers once the majority are on board.

> The goal isn't really to embarass people... after all, CodeMonkey not
> crazy, just proud.  ;)

Code Monkey like Fritos, Code Monkey like Tab and Mountain Dew ;)

Dan