[nycphp-talk] Does anyone have Ioncube experience?

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Fri Dec 8 09:13:18 EST 2006

Cliff Hirsch wrote:
> I am integrating a commercial php shopping cart that uses Ioncube to protect
> some of the source. I've already encountered one problem where Ioncube is not
> compatible with the Zend Studio Server debugger and wonder how it will work
> with Zend Optimizer and opcode caching software like APC.

It will work ok with Zend Optimizer, just make sure that you're using
the latest versions of both Optimizer and the IONCube loader.

If you're installing the IONCube loader via php.ini, I believe it should
be initialized before Zend, the majority of my experience has been with

> I'm wondering whether anyone has had experience with Ioncube -- good, bad or
> ugly. Any other unexpected gotchas that I should know about before deploying
> this in a production enviroment?

The only other oddity I've seen was one machine which experienced random
segfaults when using Zend Optimizer together with IONCube.

The solution turned out to be changing from using AddType in the
httpd.conf to AddHandler, since the change there have been no more
segfaults.

Dan