[nycphp-talk] OT: revisiting window close methods?

R. Mariotti r.mariotti at fdcx.net
Fri Dec 8 09:56:40 EST 2006

Gentlemen;

As most of the php we create and maintain deals with browser
interaction, one of those actions is to close the current window if/when
the user click on the appropriate supplied button.

I have such a button on my page(s) that contains a tag that reads:

onclick="window.close();"

and I've tried numerous variations of the same such as:

document.close()
close()
javascript:window.close()
windowClose()

and others that I have seen referenced.

However, nothing happens when this is clicked in my particular app.  The
button animates as expected but nothing happens.

The browsers tested with are all mozilla/firefox are varying versions
older to current and I'm sure it is important to note that the window I
am trying to close it the ONLY open window in the browser.  My research
shows that this should close but possibly display a
warning/acknowledgment message first.   I've also check through the
preferences to see if there were any suppression settings and I've found
none.

Can someone please advise as to how one should accomplish this task?

Thanks,

bobmct