[nycphp-talk] session variables "evil"?

LK lk613m at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 15 11:56:41 EST 2006

Just as I was reading this thread on sesion variables I was having a problem with my session variables getting changed on the fly seemingly for no reason. I've isolated this problem and condensed it to the bare minimum for you to see and comment upon:

1. Create a file x.php:

<?php
session_start();
$_SESSION['x'] = "session variables are GOOD";
?>

2. Create a file y.php

<?php
session_start();

echo $_SESSION['x']."<br/>";      // outputs session variables are GOOD

$x = "session variables are EVIL";

echo $_SESSION['x'];      // outputs session variables are EVIL
?>

Point your browser to x.php and click on the link "Go to y.php" to invoke the y.php file.

File x.php simply sets a session variable $_SESSION['x'].

File y.php assigns an internal variable $x, and that all by itself blows away $_SESSION['x'].

The _GET and _POST variables do not have this problem.

It's an easy fix simply to use a different name instead of $x, but still... this is not a nice behaviour, if not an outright bug.

- Leo.