[nycphp-talk] Re: Automatically Print Pages

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Dec 20 19:54:25 EST 2006

Joseph Crawford codebowl-at-gmail.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> THe current situation is this.
>
> We use PHP for the warehouse tools section of the site.  THe tools are
> hosted on a server at Rackspace that is also connected via VPN to our
> local network.  We are trying to figure out how to do one of 2 things.
>
> 1.) have the files print locally on the workstations (Windows XP,
> IE).  We actually thought of the batch file but that would cause ALL
> PDF to be sent to the batch file and we wouldnt want that.
> 2.) Have the server at rackspace send the lpr command to push the file
> to the shared printer using lpr.
>
> #2 is the way i am thinking of going.  On the form there would be a
> textbox that says Printer Name, they would scan a barcode that would
> inject the printers shared name.  lpr would send the command to that
> shared printer.
>
> The question is how do i know if the linux server at rackspace is
> actually seeing the shared printers in-house here.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph Crawford

I'd look at a mail-based solution (procmail?) for this. That might just
be me.

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com