[nycphp-talk] every other record

max goldberg max.goldberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 22:19:11 EST 2006

If post processing is a large concern and you'd rather figure it out on the
database side, you could try making a stored procedure. Using a cursor would
allow you to loop through every row and use a counter to get every other
row, effectively solving both the problem of holes in your ID numbers and
wanting to do this server side. I guess the most puzzling piece for me is
why you actually need to do this.

Now I haven't actually tested this so it comes with no warranty and probably
doesn't work but here's a quick pseudo stored procedure that might clear it
up for you:

 CREATE PROCEDURE getEveryOther(IN starting_id INT)
     BEGIN
       DECLARE complete      INT DEFAULT 0;
       DECLARE rank       INT DEFAULT 0;
       DECLARE current_id INT;
       DECLARE cur1 CURSOR FOR SELECT foo_id FROM foos WHERE foo_id >=
starting_id LIMIT 10;
       DECLARE CONTINUE HANDLER FOR SQLSTATE '02000' SET complete = 1;

       OPEN cur1;
       WHILE complete = 0 DO
         FETCH cur1 INTO current_id;
           SET rank = rank+1;