[nycphp-talk] PHP Security: The Proper Choice Is to Do It Now

Vugranam Sreedhar vugranam at us.ibm.com
Sat Feb 11 13:16:14 EST 2006

Interesting... I am also just starting to  look at the possibility of
annotating PHP code to improve analyzability of PHP code...Do you have
pointers to Sara's extentions?

With regards,

Sreedhar

Research Staff Member
TJ Watson Research Center
T/L 863-7325
Ext: 914-784-7325

             Chris Shiflett
             <shiflett at php.net
             Sent by:                  NYPHP Talk <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
             talk-bounces at list                                          cc
             s.nyphp.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nycphp-talk] PHP Security: The
             02/11/2006 01:07          Proper Choice Is to Do It Now
             PM

             Please respond to
                NYPHP Talk
             <talk at lists.nyphp
                   .org>

Vugranam Sreedhar wrote:
> BTW, are there any code analysis or static analysis tools for
> automatically detecting security problems that you describe in
> your book?

There are penetration testing tools, and these are pretty easy to write
yourself.

Analyzing code is more challenging than it sounds, because your task
winds up being a substantial subset of what a code parser does - you
have to be able to reliably interpret code and what it does, tracking
data the entire time, and making educated guesses about potential
safeguards. There are some recent PHP extensions written by Sara Golemon
that can help, but it's still a very non-trivial task.

I do a fair number of PHP security audits, and most of my process still
revolves around a manual inspection of the code.

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy